Aching muscles and painful joints can be as devastating as broken bones, and are treated with the same attention and care by the specialists at the Spokane Orthopaedic and Fracture Clinic. That is because our clinic is devoted to the care of the entire musculo-skeletal system, including the bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and spine all targeted towards osteoporosis treatment.
We offer comprehensive diagnostic services, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and physical therapy and rehabilitation. Our orthopaedic surgeons are board certified and fellowship trained in orthopaedic subspecialties, which allows them to provide in-depth expertise and a team approach to difficult and complex cases. The latest technology is available for the testing of osteoporosis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Our subspecialty areas include:
General & Pediatric Orthopaedics, including knee, hand, shoulder, and trauma surgery
Total Joint Replacement
Joint Revision Surgery
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Plan register to become an active member of The Bone Clinic.
THE HISTORY OF SPOKANE ORTHOPAEDIC AND FRACTURE CLINIC
The beginning of what is now known as Spokane Orthopaedic & Fracture Clinic started in the 1930’s with one of the early orthopedists in town. Dr. T. D. Thompson began this practice some 70 years ago, in the early days of orthopedic surgery in the northwest. Dr. “Tommy” Thompson and his family were well respected and the practice flourished and grew.
Dr. Dale Popp joined Dr. Thompson in 1954 and the association of Thompson and Popp was located in the Paulsen Building in downtown Spokane for many years. As the north side began to grow and Holy Family Hospital was established in the early- to mid-1960’s, the need arose for orthopedic coverage on the north end of town. Not much of the business part of town extended beyond Francis Street, except some businesses at the “Y”. For a period of time Drs. Thompson and Popp had two offices, the Paulsen Building downtown and one on the north side.
Dr. William A. Nerud joined Dr. Thompson and Dr. Popp in the 60’s and the practice became more focused to the north side. For a brief period of time, Dr. Travis White and Dr. Richard Howland were associated with Drs. Thompson, Popp, and Nerud. Drs. White and Howland left what at that time was known as Spokane Orthopaedic & Fracture Clinic and went into practice for themselves. The office at that time was located at the Professional Building at 5901 N. Lidgerwood.
Dr. Wallace R. (Reid) Leachman joined Spokane Orthopaedic & Fracture Clinic in August of 1973. By this time Dr. Thompson was no longer performing surgery and his practice consisted mainly of physical examinations in the office. Gradually Dr. Thompson left orthopedics entirely and became fully retired. In his later years Dr. Thompson became progressively disabled with rheumatoid arthritis, passing away in Iowa in 1995.
Dr. Dale Popp, the senior member of the group, retired from practice in 1981 and approximately one year later Dr. Nerud retired. Both of these men were well-respected orthopedists in the community and pursued their varied interests